League Links

Apologies for the lack of in depth analysis this week, I am working on a few pieces to give you some final tips on the final weekend before the start of the season. In the meantime here are some fantasy relevant snippets from around the league:

Van der Sar to miss 8 weeks - Not sure what to do with this one as it isn't clear who will replace the Dutchman until his return. This wasn't helped by the fact that Foster started the game against Valencia, only to be replaced at half time by Kuszczak. Ferguson has previously endorsed Foster as England's number one, and challenged him to take Van der Sar's number one jersey. If I had to pick I would go for Foster but definitely keep an eye on the Community Shield if you are in the market for a 5m 'keeper.

Bent joins Sunderland for 10m - Everyone's favourite Twitter fan has finally joined the Mackems which calls into question the value of Frazier Campbell (6m). Jones (7m) and Bent (7m) looks like an appealing strikeforce and the former United fan will struggle to get fantasy worthy minutes behind them. Bent and Jones both have 12 goal potential and there are worse strategies than picking one of them with a couple of 6-7m strikers and rotating based on matchup.

Altidore to join the Tigers - I am genuinely excited about this one and if the American youngster is added to the fantasy game for 6.5m or less I am in. One of the best overall athletes I have ever seen on the football field, he definitely has the pace and power to cope with the English game. If he plays are scores early on, other players will be all over him and his price could rocket. I'd be happier if he had more support in Hull but this could be a great addition to the league.

Aquilani headed to Anfield - the Italian midfielder looks to be heading to Anfield to replace the departed Alonso, who has joined Real Madrid. Goal.com aren't impressed though and have already dubbed him the 'new Dossena' in reference to the flop left back brought in last season by Benitez. I don't see too much fantasy value initially as Aquilani could take a while to get fully fit and adapt to the English game. Nevertheless he is technically sound player who could offer Carrick like value at the right price (max 7m).

Zaki to get return to the Premier League? - As someone who was lucky (skilled?) enough to get Zaki early last year, I have somewhat of a soft spot for the moody Egyptian. With Nugent in the doghouse (and possibly on his way to Stoke), Pompey are providing precisely zero fantasy options up front, and Zaki would certainly change that at the right price. When he was on form (and the weather was warm) Zaki was unstoppable last term, combining power with a bit of guile and craft, earning himself 9 goals in his first 11 games. For 6.5m or less I am officially adding Zaki to my shortlist.

Pirlo to stay at Milan - I am very disappointed to hear this as I was really looking forward to seeing the man I regard as the best deep lying playmaker of my generation in the Premier League. It does however make the Chelsea team less complicated and should assure Lampard and Essien of 35+ appearances each barring injury.

As always, you can keep up to date on all the daily transfer and injury news on my Twitter feed.

Comments

Thommas said…
I too am excited about the prospect about seeing Altidore in the PL. He is like twice the size of the Hulk! I think he can make a name for himself this year.

About the united keeper issue, I actually think Foster is the nr. 1 choice for red nose SAF.

And Zaki is deffo on my shortlist too if he gets a return to the PL.

Teamtalk reports that Rosicky is injured yet again, and is set to miss the first 6 weeks of the new season.

Link: http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_5475645,00.html

Popular posts from this blog

Expected goals plus-minus

Selecting defenders within the same team

A brief update